The Leukemia Ironman Fundraiser for Eric was established in 2003 as a resource that provides advocacy, education, information, and financial assistance for needs not covered by insurance (gas, hotel stays, hospital bills, medication costs, and co-pays) to families caring for young adults between the ages of 18 and 30 who have been diagnosed with cancer. We are also able to help make a person's last wishes (bucket list) come true.
The amount given can vary according to the family's situation, as well as availability of funds. If the application is approved, funds are sent directly to the patient to be used for whatever they may need. Criteria for assistance include:
- All patients must be between the ages of 18 and 30.
- The person must be diagnosed with cancer and currently in treatment. He or she does not need to be hospitalized at the time of the referral.
- The person must be in a state of financial need.
- The application should be submitted by a social worker or medical caregiver.
- The patient must be a U.S. citizen receiving treatment in the U.S.